< Copywriter //
Your role as our copywriter is to create attention-grabbing, informative text, also known as copy, that describes and promotes products. You may write copy for print ads, billboards, catalog descriptions, blog entries, or television and radio commercials. In addition to writing, you may also be asked to edit copy, lay out Web pages, post copy to websites, meet with clients and conduct research.
- Attending briefing meetings with clients.
- Brainstorming and creating ideas that fit a brief.
- Presenting those ideas to a creative director, editor, or account team.
- Presenting creative ideas to the client and making changes if required.
- Gaining an understanding of the specific audience group the client is intending to reach.
- Gaining an understanding of the client’s competitors and reading the marketing and promotional material produced by competitors.
- (In advertising) ensuring that adverts comply with code of advertising practice.
- Ensuring that text is original and not plagiarised from other sources.
- Writing fluent, readable content for advertising, websites or marketing material.
- Researching and gathering information, ensuring facts are straight before writing.
- Proofreading copy to ensure the copy is grammatically and factually accurate.
- Liaising with other ‘creatives’ such as photographers, web designers, graphic designers, production companies and printers on the visuals to accompany the textual material.
- 2+ years of copywriting experience.
- Understand the product about which they are writing, which includes learning about the product, how it works and who the intended user will be.
- Must also understand what type of writing works best for a particular media outlet.
- Understanding the best way to convey a message to the target audience.
- Must be aware of pop culture trends and slang, as well as industry-specific jargon.
- Product testing.
- Meeting with clients.
- Reviewing market research obtained through focus groups.
- Experimenting with emerging trends in new media.
- Editing and Proofreading.
- Must be able to proofread and edit the copy they submit.
- Solid spelling, grammar and punctuation skills.
- Familiarity with stylebooks and other reference materials.
- An eye for detail.
- Knowledge of word processing programs and editing tools.